Each year, this crazy festival of tomatoes in Spain attracts thousands of visitors from different parts of the world. In the year 2018, you will see the festival being held on the 29th of August. If you are wondering what really goes down at this iconic festival, let us take you into the fascinating journey of festival La Tomatina!
All about the festival
Often termed the world’s biggest food fight festival, Tomatina sees several metric tons of overripe tomatoes being smashed on the streets each year. Held in the town of Bunol near Valencia in Spain, Tomatina is famous across the world for the fun it promises and the record-breaking number of tomatoes being squashed each year. Started off as a festival played in honor of the patron saints for Bunol, it has become more global over the years and people from across the world have started visiting just to celebrate this unique food fight with their family and friends.
There are Lorries full of tomatoes arriving into the city, and the participants have to make way for them. Cannon is fired to mark the beginning of the festival at 11 am. This starts the tomato battle where you can rub, squash and smear people with tomatoes all over. The second cannon ball is fired at 1 pm and that means the end of the fight.
Some things to keep in mind
- It’s essential that you squash the tomatoes well before you throw them at people, otherwise people can get hurt
- It’s a good idea to cover your head. Some people also wear special eye gear to prevent tomatoes or water from going inside their eyes. Tying your hair is a good idea too so it doesn’t get tangled while you tomato-fight
- Ideally, one shouldn’t be carrying valuables along because there are all the possibilities you would lose or damage them. However if you absolutely have to carry things with you, it’s best to keep them in waterproof bags properly tucked into your pockets so that you don’t lose or damage anything
- Making prior bookings for stay and travel will help you get the best deals, because if you’re late you may end up paying a bomb for the same
- It is wise to choose a hotel that’s close by to the festival area, so that you don’t have to travel much back and forth in your ‘tomatoed’ clothes
- People make all sorts of preparation for this festival. They paint their faces in the theme, they carry water guns with them
- It’s going to be ideal to wear comfortable shoes and clothes that are easy to move around in
- It is important you don’t get carried away in the energy of the festival and the chaos so caused; no ripping of other people’s t-shirts is allowed
- One must avoid bring sharp objects to the festival as they may harm others